December 2005
In my recent and frequent visits to Mindanao, aside from wanting to learn more about the Bangsamoro (Bangsamoros are the authentic local people of Mindanao. Not the ones who just transferred or evacuated from Visayas or Luzon), I wanted to find out how I could get inside a mosque and observe without making so much distraction to the people praying.
Sometime in October 2005, while waiting for my colleague to finish his interview with Notre Dame University’s director of some department, I saw Kuya Baks (our designated driver for the whole trip, he's real name is Abubakar) rushing himself to the door of a secluded room. I realized that it was in that room where the chant came from. He rushed his way to the room for their six o’clock prayer.
I ran and hurried myself to call Kuya Baks and ask him if he could get me in by asking their leader for permission. I was hoping to record the chanting – I wanted to use the audio clip in the video we were producing. Luckily, the leader agreed to let me sit in and stay at the back corner of the room.
The leader began chanting.
* * * * *
Every other second, I saw more and more male students coming in. I didn’t know that Muslim men and women pray separately until a college student approached me and politely asked me to exit the room.
My initial reaction was, "Ha? Eh nagpaalam naman po ako kay sir… pumayag naman sya na mag-observe ako…" yet, he insisted that I leave the room and briefly reasoned to me that I cannot stay there.
I’m usually stubborn but out of embarrassment, I asked Jasper (our production assistant for this particular filming) to try and capture the hypnotic chant while I leave the room and wait for my co-producer outside and just admire the peaceful, silent and nerve-calming dusk.
* * * * *
I went out still clueless why I needed to leave the room… why the student was fervently adamant in making me leave, regardless of him being much younger than I was.
I was not mad or insulted at all. I was only embarrassed at the fact that I, as a young urban social worker for a project benefiting young people in Mindanao, should have known better… I should have researched and understood the Muslim religion before I even immersed myself on field. I salute the young man for his fervor and faith in their religion and wish that we, Christians, can offer the same respect to and lessen the cynicism we practice in our Church.
After much thought, I am also embarrassed that maybe for a moment there I thought highly of myself, assuming that I could get away with my mistake with a simple smile. I felt this more when Jasper finally went out of the room and sat beside me, and told me that the young man wanted to say sorry for asking me to leave. I have yet to learn more of humility.
* * * * *
During Ramadan, intake of any kind of food and liquid is prohibited. They cannot even swallow their saliva. So, they spit from time to time.
"Allah will take care of us and help us get through each day," says a parent in J. Marquez School when asked how Muslims are able to endure the hunger, thirst and temptation during the month of Ramadan.
I admire their faith, how they take their religion seriously and make their lives revolve around it. I began to wonder, why I could not even avoid eating pork when I fast…? It’s way simpler than observing Ramadan.
* * * * *
We were warmly welcomed in the madrasah in the Datu Odin Sinsuat Municipality, where we conducted our interview for the audio-visual material and for the annual newsletter. (madrasah is a school where Arabic classes are conducted for Muslims)
After I interviewed Meriam (an Instructional Manager/teacher in the madrasah) and was looking for a student to interview next, I sensed some reluctancy from the students, or was it just coyness. I wasn't sure though if it was the voice recorder, the digicam, the video cam that my partner was using, my pen and paper, my complexion or my way of questioning that intimidated them.
I, myself, if interviewed, would be bothered and hassled by the gadgets. From time to time, I could be very conscious and cautious of what I would say or how I would look or project because of the old but very intimidating techies.
But when I interview people, I always make sure that I look straight into their eyes to assure them that I am listening, that they are talking to me and not to the gadgets.
After I interviewed my subjects, I started a small talk with Kuya Baks. I asked more about the religion, tradition and the philosophy of being a Muslim.
While Kuya Baks tried to explain to me in Tagalog the difference between the Qu’ran and the Catholic Holy Bible, an elder approached us and joined the discussion. He said with strong conviction, "Whoever tries to change the content of the Qu’ran, his head will be cut from his body."
He scared the hell out of me..! Even Kuya Baks turned silent....
This man was so tall and has a very big built, similar to Jimmy Santos' (minus the funny puppy look and sound) and he speaks really loud that attracted the attention of those who were around ten-steps from where we were.
He scared my wits that I did not want to ask a follow-up question anymore. I just wanted to end the conversation, but he kept talking and explaining that even if I was looking at him, I was too nervous to concentrate on what he was saying. I was already planning how to run fast if he ever explodes..! ;p
Finally, my partner called me for help (although I think I was the one who actually needed it!). Thank God.
* * * * *
After a few months, my partner, Rhanch, went back to Mindanao to attend and witness the PEPT exams. He also helped our local implementing partners in making sure that their learners would make it to the testing centers.
While he was on field work, he called me up and told me a funny and nerve-wacking story.
When we left the madrasah after conducting the interviews, the elders of that community went out of the mosque, looking for us. According to "the story", the elders were very angry at "what we did," that they closed the school for two days.
I thought to myself, if we were still there and more huge-built elders went out and confronted us, I might have passed out....
On the other hand, I was really sad hearing this knowing that the learners were not able to have their classes because of "whatever the elders thought we did."
Well, it turned out that the elders thought we were foreigners and that we were trying to influence the children with western ways. This one I found funny.
I am the more guilty party for this because between me and Rhanch, I am more fair-skinned and my eyes are light brown. My hair is not black; it's somewhere between black and brown.
But to start with, I am not a foreigner. I am a Filipino. And the big, scary, somewhat scolding elder heard me speak in Tagalog fluently. Meriam and her students heard me, as well. I talked to them. I counted "1, 2, 3.." in English and took their pictures, but spoke to them, thanked them and bid them goodbye in Tagalog.
Anyway...
I am glad that the issue has been settled down at the municipal level (would you believe it even reached that level..?!). After our local partners clarified that we were just conducting an interview in behalf of the Alliance that is helping the youth in their community That we are actually Tagalog-speaking Filipinos and that we did not intend to influence their youth.
They opened the madrasah again for their out-of-school youth's learning.
I hope that the elders would continue supporting projects that benefit their youth. I know that there are a lot of young ones in Mindanao who can be as or more competitive, who can achieve more than people expect of them. I belive in them.
They may find it hard to find employment now because of discrimination or because of businessmen's fear of hiring Abu Sayaffs (caused by stereotyping), but let us help them be equipped with the needed skills and knowledge. Someday, with much hope and persistence, they will find an opportunity for themselves to shine.
* * * * *
Despite of everything that happened, I really miss the travelling and meeting different kinds of people. I miss the adventure. I miss the flights. I miss wearing casual, ragged clothes. I miss the scare. I miss having new experiences. I miss learning cultures in communities that are new to me. I miss the realizations that I am so blessed and that I am given the opportunity to make a difference and somehow inspire others in my own biway-ish way.
I look forward to visiting again soon!!! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment